Physical injure is not the only peril our heroes face. The well-being of their very mind might be at stake.
We will be using the Sanity system (pulp variant) from the Realms of Cthulu book (pages 24-28). Sanity is a derived stat that determines your character’s mental toughness. Corruption is an attribute that reflects your continued contact with the unspeakable. It starts at nothing but raises as your character’s knowledge progresses. Combined, these two stats do a fairly good job of mechanically representing your character’s contact with the unspeakable horrors of the world and their ability to stay sane despite said contact.The system works much like normal combat.
- New Derived Stat – Sanity = 2+Spirit/2 – Corruption
- When something horrifying occurs, make a Spirit Check as per normal.
- If failed, the event has preset Mental Anguish damage in the form of dice (say 2d6)
- Compare Mental Anguish vs. Sanity
- Like damage, equal to 3 is Shake, ever 4 point is a point of Madness. 4 points of Madness moves one to Insanity
- Double Shaken – the second Shaken determines if a Wound or Madness
- Can Soak the madness with a Bennie – make a Smarts check to ‘rationalize’ what you see.
- Madness has same game penalties as Wounds
- Curing Madness – Allow Healing to remove levels at x2 the PP cost or time (skill – so 20 minutes). Normal wound/madness penalties apply